About this course
Are you concerned about your ability to teach people who are undergoing cancer treatment? Would you like to know who it is safe to teach in your general classes and who requires more specialist teaching? Would you like to teach yoga in a setting specifically created for people with cancer? If your answer is YES to any of these questions this course has been created for you.
This 9 week CPD training will give you practical skills you can take away with you to confidently and safely work with people affected by cancer.
There will be a balanced mix of theory, discussion Q&A and practical teaching experience so that by the end of the training you will be able to:
- Communicate effectively and sensitively with cancer patients
- Assess whether you are able to teach someone safely
- Create an individualised yoga program for someone with cancer
- Have the knowledge to integrate someone living with cancer in your class
- Create a variety of lesson plans for one-to-one sessions, home practice & group classes.
- Build a network and resources to support yourself and people living with cancer
- Have the tools you need to set up your own yoga for cancer class.
Small group sessions to allow for personalised support.
Certification: on completion of this course you will receive a YTF Teaching Yoga for Cancer Certification
In order to receive your diploma you will be required to attend 80% of all sessions and complete all the home practice required.
How Does It Work
It is a 9 week programme
8 weekly 3 hour online sessions via zoom & 1 integration week.
Start date Monday 25 Sept 2023
1000-1300 (BST) UK Time (Moving to GMT after 31 Oct)
All zoom calls are recorded -
You will need to allocate time for home practice and assignments each week
You will be offered the option to work with a listening partner to support your progress
You will design your own teaching plan for Yoga for Cancer classes
What We Will Cover
- Week 1 - Understanding Cancer
- Week 2 - Communication Skills & Boundaries
- Week 3 - Stress, Trauma and Fatigue
- Week 4 - Lesson Planning: Asana Practice & Breathing
- Week 5 - Integration Week
- Week 6 - Lesson Planning: Restorative Yoga, Meditation & Guided Visualisation
- Week 7 - Live Teaching Practice
- Week 8 - Support Networks, Resources and Creating Your Own Yoga for Cancer Course
- Week 7 - Integration, Working with Cancer Organisations, One to One Clients, Independent Classes, Q&A and ongoing support
"I loved this course! Jenni was very knowledgeable and everything was clearly presented, it was a great mixture of the theory, homework and self reflection. I feel very confident to go and teach people with cancer specifically or adapt my classes to suit someone with cancer or recovering from cancer. Thank you so much, it’s been yoga career changing" - Katie Arscott, Cancer Training Course Graduate
"I not only learned about Cancer and all that goes with it, I also learned a lot about me and how to self care as a teacher" - Suzie Povey, Cancer Training Course Graduate